Sunday, April 17, 2011

#46: Prohibition Ale

A fellow poster on a homebrewing website graciously sent me a can of Premier Malt Extract. I couldn't justify not running it prohibition style, though adding 2lbs of sugar was quite a juxtaposition from my normal no adjunct stance. As mentioned before, my great grandfather followed the recipe provided by Pabst/Premier, so I'm totally curious to what the brew they did tasted like. I did change the process just a touch... they talked of dumping the sugar straight into the fermenter and then adding water and wort. I instead added the sugar to the boil, and then added the malt extract at flameout (just like a Mr. B brew).

The recipe stats below are a total guess, outside of the Brewsmith stats for table sugar and the actual OG. After getting the OG, I worked backwards to estimate the stats for the extract.  I have no idea on the IBU or the color...

Prohibition Ale                                                          
American Pale Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 4/17/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Swenocha

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 lb Priemer Malt Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 52.38 %
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 47.62 %
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.034 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.034 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.002 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.21 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.16 %
Bitterness: 20.7 IBU Calories: 144 cal/pint
Est Color: 2.2 SRM

At two weeks, I took a potential FG reading (2 weeks in the fermenter)...


Holy crap! I pulled and reseated the hydrometer 3-4 times just to be sure. The yeast kicked the snot outta that wort... Adjusted the readings above to reality...

I guess it's time to bottle...

Fast forward another week...

I made three sampler bottles that I intend to taste the next three weeks on this one.  The first is at 6 days in the bottle...

Has OK carb, but still needs some more carb time.  Pour is straw colored and pretty clear.  Very slightly ciderish on the nose and the taste, but not nearly as much so as I anticipated.  Lightly bittered, and lightly hopped.  Pretty smooth.  Really close to being pipeline ready, though I still plan to give it three to four weeks before throwing any volume of these into the fridge.  I anticipate this will be a good lawnmower/BMC friend brew based on this early tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment