First brew day with friends yesterday. "Big Brew" a week or so late. They wanted to do an IPA, and we wanted to shoot for less than four hours, so a partial mash on the new equipment seemed in order. Cut some corners by hop-bursting the bitter and also by partial mashing and thus adding cold water at the end to get to volume. Wrapped up in about 2.5 hours. Super-efficient brew day considering two of the three people had never brewed before. Did some grilling early and ordered pizza late, and also consumed a lot of beer. Good times...
Another side note... Used some of the Summit I ordered from Willamette Valley Hops. Funny thing is that every time I order from them, I end up with twice as much as I ordered. I had spec'd a 55IBU, with a 1.5oz addition of the Summit, but they wanted to go more bitter, so we went 2.0oz for a 100+ IBU. These hops have been in the freezer for a while, so likely I won't get that much out of them (though they still smelled great)... Probably gonna get something in the 80ish range, but no real way to judge that.
Missed the OG by a touch. I found when I was cleaning the equipment that there was some of the LME coating the bottom of the pot. I guess we didn't stir well enough. RDWHAHB... Still should be mighty tasty.
Also, got my lagering fridge working again (at least temporarily). So I guess I didn't need to trade my lager yeast in after all...
|IPA (partial mash)|
|Type: Partial Mash||Date: 1/6/2012|
|Batch Size: 5.00 gal|
|Boil Size: 3.00 gal|
|Boil Time: 60 min||Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal)|
|Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG||Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG|
|Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG||Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG|
|Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.20 %||Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.82 %|
|Bitterness: 108.3 IBU||Calories: 217 cal/pint|
|Est Color: 8.1 SRM|
EDIT: Bloop... bloop...