I'm not sure yet if I'll try to krausen for the first time, or if I'll prime with DME. I'm not real certain how to work krausening to get the carb that I desire, so I'll likely just go the normal route (for me), but I may change my mind in the next few weeks as I do more research.
So, this seems easy-ish to replicate. I played with Crystal 60 and UK Pale Malt to get the correct color. I ended up around 85/15. Then I took the two hops they provided, decided to use reasonable substitutes due to availability, and worked my IBU and flavor characteristics. Finally, I searched for other clone recipes and adjusted a bit based on their findings and recipes. I seem good on OG, color, IBU, calories, etc., so I'm going with the following...
#61: New England Stock Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 2.40 gal
Boil Size: 3.37 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal)
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
0.37 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
0.68 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.15 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.80 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (5 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1 Pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast-Ale
Measured Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 5.87 %
Bitterness: 34.6 IBU
Calories: 254 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.8 SRM
Still not getting efficiency that I expect on the new equipment. This will be about 0.5% lower than the anticipated 5.5% (adjusted above). (NOTE: I actually finished lower than expected, so I ended up above the 5.5%... adjustments above)
Started a starter on the yeast (which had expired... sigh... I intended to use it three months ago...), and it rocked the primary fermentation of the starter in about a day. Pitched that sucker at 9pm, and by 9:30 had active airlock bubbling.
The next afternoon the thing was going crazy. This is among the top two or three in oddest looking fermentations. I have long since learned that odd looking fermentations are par for the course, but this one has a few oddities... Floating just below the krausen are what I assume are yeast islands that look solid... kinda like macaroni or bow-tie pasta. The trub is some of the loosest I've seen (may not use this yeast again if this is indicative... I like the gel-like trubs).
By the 26 hour mark, it appeared to be done with the active primary fermentation.