Saturday, May 22, 2010

#20: Truly Triple-Hopped Lite Beer

Decided I'd take a crack at my "lawnmower" beer. Went really simple, with no grain steep (primarily b/c I didn't have any on hand). When I went to the LHBS, they had the Munton's American Style Light Beer HME on clearance for cheaper than LME, so I used that as the base. Used the standard Munton's yeast that came with that.

As for hops, I kept the hop bitterness levels pretty low for me, hitting 28 IBU per QBrew (I bumped the boil time of the hops around in QBrew related to the Munton's kit until it hit the estimate on the can). That's a bit high for American Light style I would say, but of course, the kit itself was higher than American Light style (18-25 IBU stated on the can). I hadn't used Argentine Cascade or Liberty before, but after reading I thought they would compliment all right. Argentine Cascade have "a very mellow and sweet character that reminds us of lemon grass, with herbal, peppery, and spicy undertones," while Liberty "are noble in their aroma and flavor profile; mild, pleasant, with some spiciness." Interesting... I guess we'll see how they play together... That is the most interesting part of this hobby for me.

The HME that was supposed to be 6 gallon, so I decided to stay somewhat true to that and split 5ish gallons between 2 Mr.B kegs (2.4 each), and the remainder went into my 1 gallon cube fermenter.
As I was trying to stay somewhat in style, I was targeting the Miller Lite ABV of 4.2%. QBrew says that's what I'm targeting, and the OG met what QBrew stated, so all is good on that front. Color should be pretty good as well (3 per QBrew).

Actually Triple-Hopped Lite Beer
------------------------
Style: Lite American Lager
Batch: 5.50 galExtract
Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.043 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 28 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.011
Alcohol by Volume: 4.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.3%
Ingredients
-----------
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
Muntons Premium HME - American Style Light
3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
Cascade (Argentine) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Liberty 0.25 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Liberty 0.25 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Muntons Premium HME - American Style Light
1.00 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes
Cascade (Argentine) 0.25 oz, Pellet, dryhop
Muntons Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

No comments:

Post a Comment