Sunday, March 28, 2010

#13: Hop Slop IPA

The attempt to nail down and perfect the beer that I see being my pipeline regular (a citrusy IPA) is back in progress. After weighing my options and considering what I wanted to brew today, and after looking at ingredients on hand, the Citra hops were just staring at me, saying "use me! use me!" and the other ingredients seemed to agree.

Thus, cut #3 at the IPA. I've been happy with the two IPAs I've done thus far, but I really want one with the citrus pop in flavor and aroma that the first two are a bit lacking in. I've learned a lot since those first two efforts, so I think that this one might be it...

HopSlop IPA
-----------------------
Style:  IPA
Batch: 2.40 galExtract
Characteristic
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.060 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 79 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 5.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5%
Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Sparkling Amber 1.37 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 10L 0.42 lb, Grain, Steeped
Light LME 2.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Citra 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Citra 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Citra 1.00 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, 
Irish Moss 0.50 unit, Fining, 
Maltodextrin 1.00 unit, Other,
Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Steep crushed grains at 155 for 30 min
Strain grains, run the additional water thru grains.
Set to boil. Add DME. Start the hop sched.
Maltodextrin and Irish moss at 15 min.
Cut from boil. Add LME
ice bath after boil. to fermenter. stir, pitch, stir

NOTE:  Dubbed Hop Slop due to the clogged spigot that resulted from a dryhop bag that came undone...

No comments:

Post a Comment