Saturday, March 20, 2010

#12: Smoked Porter

So, I wanted to make a smoked porter, and I wanted to get some special roast for another brew. So I handed the (much too laid back) older dude at All Seasons (you know who I'm talking about if you've been there) the two bags and asked him if he could run 'em thru the old crusher for me. He says of course he can... So I go about my shopping, and then he comes back with one big bag. I look at the bag, and lo and behold, he's ground them both into one bag thinking they were both special roast. I point out that they were two different grains, and I was expecting to get two separate bags back (since they were for two separate brews). Though, as I think about, I didn't specifically state that. But I thought it was implied, especially considering they were clearly labelled as different grains.

In his ever friendly way, he noted that I may have a happy accident with the combo, that he thought they'd work well together, and that he's offer them to me at half price (as he was going to throw it away). So... I took it.
So, for my $2ish, I now have 2 lbs of 1/2 Briess American Smoked malt and 1/2 Briess Special Roast, which should work great in my proposed smoked porter, I think. I think I'll use 1lb steeped for my (first) 5 gallon batch of said porter.

Smoked Porter
------
Style: Robust Porter
Batch: 4.28 galExtract
Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.073 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 11 IBU
Recipe Color: 20° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.018
Alcohol by Volume: 7.1%
Alcohol by Weight: 5.6%
Ingredients
-----------
Malt Extracts:
Ironmaster Porter HME 4.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Light LME 2.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Grains:
Smoked Malt 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Special Roast 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped

Adjuncts:
Brown Sugar, Dark 0.50 lb, Sugar, Other
MrB. Booster 0.81 lb, Sugar, Other
Cluster 0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Cluster 1.00 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Muntons Connoisseurs HME - Nut Brown Ale0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Muntons Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment