Monday, July 11, 2011

#52: Weisen

Continuing my revisiting of Mr. B recipes and extracts... 

I'm not a huge wheat fan (though I loves me a Gumballhead or Oberon), but I'm trying to gain a taste for it. This is the second time I've had the WW extract on hand. Last time (nearly two years ago, and near the beginning of my brewing adventure) I added it to the OVL from the variety pack and made something resembling the Prince Ludwig Lager, though I used Centennial instead of Saaz and also added some honey. It was so-so though drinkable.

This time, instead of trying to add it to something else, I went instead full bore into it, getting a wheat yeast and supplementing with wheat DME. Also threw in a touch of EKG I had left from another brew day just for fun.

I did the easy-peasy brew day on Monday night. Overfilled to the top of the Q as an experiment (figuring it's about 2.5 gallons). Odd that the OG was way over the estimate. I didn't weigh the DME. I wonder if they mismeasured at Rebel, as I get the same OG if I change the stats to 1.5 lb. Interesting...

I tested gravity tonight (something like 69 hours later)... 1.011! Below estimate! I guess I need to get some bottles ready... Wow... Munich tore it up...

Hydrometer taste is very encouraging. Banana and clove just as expected, but not overpowering. 

Wheat 
Weizen/Weissbier

Type: Extract

Ferment 7/11; bottled 7/24
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Brewer: Swenocha

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 45.25 %
1.21 lb Whispering Wheat (6.0 SRM) Extract 54.75 %
0.10 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (30 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Munich (Lallemand #- ) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Adj Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.17 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.30 %
Bitterness: 9.7 IBU
Calories: 194 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.2 SRM




No comments:

Post a Comment