Midway through the hop boil at this point. Minor catastrophe with a split grain bag (I was experimenting with a new tool to keep my bag off of the bottom of the pot, and it apparently caught on the bag... back to the drawing board), but another grain bag as a filter clipped to the top of another brew pot strained things real nice. Didn't get my usual sparge and lost some wort to the accident, but RDWHAHB...
EDIT: Well... with the volume lost with the bag split and the subsequent lack of sparge, my volume was way off. I figured I could either a) make only a gallon or so of beer that hit my hydro reading pretty well, or b) add water to the wort to reach my volume and make this a light IPA. I went for option B. Thus, I am looking at a 4% abv beer. I also lost a metal binder clip I use to hold the hops bag into the wort and had to fish it out after realizing several minutes later. Assuming no ill effects from that either. I tasted the last hydro pull just to make sure there were no off-flavors, but didn't detect any.
Alas, I have a session IPA. I hope the bitter is not off the chart for this OG...
EDIT x2: I have had a day and a half of no activity, which in theory isn't the end of the world, but since this beer has already had issues, I decided to experiment a touch to see if I could get things going, and also to give the ABV a bump. So, I followed normal yeast starter procedures with 1 cup DME and some boiling water, and I also added a pack of booster. Once boiled and cooled, I added an additional pack of Notty, aerated the snot out of it, then added to the fermenter. I ended up mid-Q, so my level is in the 2.4 to 2.5 gallon level. I took a new hydro reading, knowing it wouldn't be 100% accurate with the yeast already added, but it should be close enough. Success on my estimates, as I got it to 6.5%, which was my target. Recipe below adjusted. I see activity already.
|Type: All Grain||Date: 12/27/2011|
|Batch Size: 2.40 gal|
|Est Original Gravity: 1.089 SG||Revised Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG|
|Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG||Revised Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG|
|Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.91 %||Revised Est Alcohol by Vol: 6.53 %|
|Bitterness: 46.6 IBU||Calories: 298 cal/pint|
|Est Color: 5.5 SRM|
Wow... two weeks in the bottle, and this is great!
EDIT: Fast-forward to 4.5 months in the bottle. Still very, very tasty. Acquired a Two Hearted this weekend, so I did a little side-by-side... Mine is a bit more pale than theirs and clearer. Aroma is spot on. Flavor is pretty darn close as well, though their carries a bit more malt character, which isn't surprising considering the challenges on brew day. Really, really happy with this attempt. I hope to have a cleaner brew day next time, but I will definitely roll with this recipe again.